Mayor and City Council
The Council acts as the governing body of the City, with all regulatory and corporate powers of a municipal corporation provided under California State Law. The Council is comprised of five members. Council members are elected from the community at large to serve four-year staggered terms. Every two years elections are held, with not more than three Council positions up for election. Elections are held on the 1st Tuesday following the first Monday of November of even numbered years. Anyone who is 18 years of age, a registered voter, and residing within the Avenal city limits can run for a Council seat.
The Council elects the Mayor every two years. The Mayor is the ceremonial head of the Council but has no extra-legal authority different than the other four members.
- Alvaro Preciado, Mayor - Term Expires November 2026
- Alejandro Ramirez, Mayor Pro Tem - Term Expires: November 2024
- Lou Gravelle, Councilman - Term Expires November 2024
- Pablo Hernandez, Councilman - Term Expires November 2026
- Ricardo Verdugo, Councilman - Term Expires November 2024
- Dates: 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month
- Time: 5:15 PM
- Location: Avenal Theater, 233 E Kings Street, Avenal, CA 93204 (View Map)
- *During the COVID-19 pandemic and declared local emergency, meetings are being hosted on Zoom for public participation at the following link: https://usc.zoom.us/j/12669676
Council meetings are open to the public. Persons wishing to speak at a Council Meeting may appear during the "public comments" portion of the meeting, or may contact the City Manager's office two weeks prior to a meeting to discuss agendizing an item.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Statements of Economic Interest
The City Council Members are elected officers identified in Government Code Section 87200 and file statements of economic interests with the City Clerk's office. Copies of the statements of economic interests filed by the above elected officers may be obtained by visiting the offices of the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) or the City Clerk. The physical address of the FPPC is 428 J Street, Suite 620, Sacramento, California 95814. The physical address of the City Clerk's office is 919 Skyline Blvd., Avenal, California 93204. The statements of economic interests for some state and local government agency elected officers may be available in electronic format on the FPPC's website.
To reach the Council members and for additional information on Meeting Agendas, please contact City Hall at (559) 386-5766.